Tuesday, April 21, 2009

SCRATCH MITTS VS MITTEN CUFFS

Becoming a mommy for the first time was overwhelming. What should I buy? What will be purchased for me? Should I put a few of these on the register?

One of the most important things I learned was how much I didn't like scratch mittens. They fall off, get lost, and are a choking hazard. Some come with strings, but we all know that strings shouldn't be anywhere near a newborn.


Instead, I opted for long-sleeve onesies with mitten cuffs, where the ends flipped over to cover the baby's hands. You need them especially in the early days when babies are exploring themselves and constantly touching their own face. New parents are especially afraid to deal with the tiny, delicate fingernails (my husband was). Having said that, if you are worried about using baby nail clippers, try to nibble on the nails or simply tear them off. At this point, they are so soft, they will rip off and no, you won't get into the quick (pink part of the nail).


For me, it was mitten cuffs all the way. I recommend the Gerber brand with long sleeves. The basic white ones are excellent for newborns, but as they get older, they can be used as undershirts under the cuter tops and bottoms.

1 comment:

Martha said...

These sound great. And how awesome that they have a second use too.