Squash is a popular choice for a first baby food. In North America, squash can be divided into "winter squash" and "summer squash" depending on when they grow. Squash has been described as having a nutty or sweet flavour.
Follow these instructions from wholesomebabyfood.com on how to bake or roast squash. The most popular variety for babies is butternut squash.
1) With a sharp kitchen knife, cut the squash in half (lengthwise).
2) Scoop out the seeds from the round end of the cut squash.
3) Lay squash "face" or meat-side down in a baking dish with about 1-2 inches of water.
4) Bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes or until shell/skin looks puckery and turns a darker tan.
5) Afterwards, scoop out the squash and then puree the "meat". Add water as necessary.
If baking or roasting takes too long, you can also cut up the pieces and boiled them until tender. Puree.