Wednesday, November 25, 2009

CHRISTMAS CONCERT SEASON

It's one month until Christmas and teachers everywhere are preparing their students for the annual Christmas concert. As much as I know parents love these shows, the practice time it requires makes teaching time suffer. Really how can I find enough time to organize twenty grade students for a show while teaching curriculum?

It's beyond tough and that's why I believe the concerts should be optional. I know that I would love to see Hannah perform when she's of school-age, but in the long run, I would also rather her dedicate time to science experiments or work on her language. Although it's really just a few weeks of class time, the amount of stuff the kids are expected to learn (and us poor educators trying to teach) really does require every minute to be spent on that.

Though Christmas concerts are fine and dandy and make lasting memories, it's sad that teaching time has to suffer.

No comments: